Pearl Powder is more than just an ancient beauty secret treasured in ancient civilizations around the world.
Pearl Powder has an incredible host of benefits when it comes to the hair, skin, nails and bones. It contains a substance called nacre, which is able to cause the regeneration of fibroblasts and osteoblasts, which are essential to the formation of new skin, collagen and bone tissue. Fibroblasts are “builder stem cells” and stimulate rapid wound healing, as well as the formulation of new skin cells and collagen cells, keeping skin youthful by increasing suppleness, tightening the skin and reducing sagging, wrinkles and sun damage.
Benefits of supplementing with pearl powder include:
• Increased collagen production. Pearl powder contains a complex protein called conchiolin which promotes healthy collagen production and has similar effects to keratin, which is one of the proteins found in skin and hair that is able to improve hydration, speed up cell metabolism, increase circulation and repair damaged cells.
• More even skin tone. Conchiolin also beautifies the skin by toning it and inhibiting melanin production. Conchiolin is the protein responsible for a pearl’s special luminescent glow. That same protein is used to produce collagen. Conchiolin is very similar to keratin which makes up a large part of your hair and skin. It is also responsible for many important functions including repair, circulation, and growth of new skin cells.
• Clearer, more youthful skin, reduced skin redness and an improved circulatory system. Pearl powder’s cooling and calming properties support the liver meridian, which rules the skin. A clean liver is key in keeping the skin youthful, clear and even.
• Youth and longevity. Pearl powder boosts antioxidant levels of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione, which are two of the most potent antioxidants in the body. SOD aids in DNA protection and repair and helps to reverse many diseases and combines with other nutrients to discourage a process called peroxidation, one of the most damaging types of aging in the body. It also aids in preventing the development of melanin, which is what creates freckles and other skin discolorations. Conchiolin also combines with lipids in the skin to create a natural moisture barrier, preventing water from evaporating and creating naturally brilliant skin.
• Increased calcium levels. It’s the richest source of calcium on the planet (up to 80% by weight) and is absorbed twice as efficiently as conventional calcium supplements. Calcium is indispensable for strong bones, but it does so much more, including keeping your heart healthy. Pearl powder is one of the purest forms of calcium available, and it is also one of the most easily absorbed.
• New bone growth, increased overall bone density and increased mineralization, which is stimulated by pearl powder’s highly biocompatible trace minerals.
• Mood support. Pearl powder elevates GABA levels in the brain. GABA is a neurotransmitter that has a calming and relaxing effect on the brain and body. It also stimulates various receptors in the brain related to serotonin which regulates happiness and mood. Pearls contain magnesium, the fourth most abundant mineral in the body. Magnesium performs several hundred functions. One is to maintain proper levels of GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid). This, in turn, helps alleviate sleep disorders, depression, and anxiety.
Pearl powder applied topically makes an exceptional exfoliator. Pearl powder has a finer grain than other microdermabrasion products. It gently but effectively removes dead cells to reveal healthy, glowing skin underneath. Regular use of pearl powder as an exfoliant may help eliminate stubborn acne and the equally stubborn dark spots that acne can leave behind.
Applied directly to the skin in your favorite face mask mix, pearl powder can also minimize pores and repairs damage, whether due to sun exposure or scarring.