This festive hot chocolate will bring a healthy dose of cheer to even the gloomiest day, while also cultivating robust immunity and your inner sense of cozy. Reishi Spore is an especially wonderful wintertime ally thanks to its tonifying action on the Kidneys, which correspond to this highly Yin season. Akin to being the seed or essence of Reishi, the spores are believed to contain an abundance of Jing to nourish our own Essence, as well as our genetic inheritance, quality of life, and potential for longevity. It’s also rich in essential minerals, adding to the powerful mineral profile of cacao. Interestingly, the Kidneys and Bladder are the corresponding organs of Winter and embody the Yin and Yang organs of the Water element, respectively; minerals are crucial to proper hydration and also support our natural capacity for detoxification through our elimination pathways.
All that to say, sometimes the most profound self-care can be found in a simple, seasonally attuned, and nourishing ritual… that’s also delicious!
- 1 ¼ C milk of choice (we love A2/A2 from Alexandre Family Farm)
- 1 tbsp organic candy cane, crushed
- 2 tbsp chocolate bar of choice, chopped (add 1 tbsp more if you love your hot chocolate extra rich!)
- 1 tsp Reishi Spore powder
- To a small pot, add all of the ingredients and warm on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally
- When the mixture begins to boil, remove from heat
- Add the contents of the pot to a blender until frothy
- Pour into your favorite mug, and top with an additional sprinkle of crushed candy cane and, if desired, marshmallows.
Did you know that Reishi Spore offers comprehensive regulating and replenishing actions, additionally supporting healthy sleep and REM cycles? This is one of the most crucial times for healing to occur, and supports our ability to experience a replenishing and restorative Yin phase of the year. Lean into the medicine of the season with good rest and nourishing rituals!