Looking for a decadent grab-and-go treat that sustainably enhances your energy reserves, while also satisfying your sweet tooth? Cordyceps and Astragalus are both Yang-nourishing tonics that function in synergistic ways to increase our vital energy, making this an invigorating and medicinal twist on a classic.
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
1/3 cup cacao butter (melted)
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
1 tsp Cordyceps
1 tsp Astragalus
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup smooth almond butter
- Use a whisk to stir together the cacao butter, honey/maple, and vanilla in a bowl
- Continue whisking while adding the cacao powder, Cordyceps, and Astragalus until the chocolate mixture is well-integrated
- Add paper muffin cups to a muffin tin
- Pour enough chocolate into the cups to just coat the bottom
- Place the muffin tin in the freezer for 15 minutes
- Remove from the freezer and add a layer of almond butter on top of the chocolate
- Pour the remaining chocolate into each cup so that it covers the almond butter
- Smooth the top as much as possible (a small spatula or the back of a teaspoon can help)
- Place in the freezer for at least 20 minutes
- Remove the paper from each almond butter cup and serve!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator
Cordyceps is a Yang tonic, a highly prized category in TCM for its ability to enhance life force in a way that comprehensively supports both the body and mind. Although a favorite category of athletes, nourishing Yang is important for everyone as it is crucial to our sense of balance, resilience, and energy. Yang tonics are believed to generate willpower and courage, as well as supporting mental clarity and focus, immune strength, digestive function through enhanced metabolism, and sexual health. However, Cordyceps is unique in that it also contains Yin, replenishing our deepest energy reserves that get depleted with aging, extreme exertion, or chronic stress. If Yin tonics help to prevent burnout, Yang tonics help our bodies and minds perform, and Cordyceps is particularly endurance-promoting, muscle-building, and heart-strengthening.
Astragalus is a Qi tonic that raises Yang Qi, famed for its strengthening effects, especially as related to musculature. Called the “Great Protector” for its supportive effect on the Wei Qi, or the conceptual “shield” guarding our bodies, it helps us maintain strength by cultivating adaptability. Astragalus is an amazing ally for replenishing Qi that gets depleted, including through illness, supporting us in regaining full strength. Qi tonics are incredible allies for energy support, as they enhance our capacity for the extraction of energy from both the air we breathe and the food we eat. Energizing and immunomodulating, Astragalus is deeply supportive for those dealing with fatigue.
So, what will you do with all of that extra energy?